Senior Engineer – Simulation
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a Senior Structural Simulation Engineer to join our multi-disciplinary Computer Aided Engineering team, responsible for supporting the design and mechanical development of gas & diesel engines for Caterpillar.
You will apply your knowledge of structural and powertrain dynamics to a variety of engaging assignments that support and enhance the performance, durability, reliability, quality, and serviceability of Caterpillar products. You will also provide technical leadership and coaching and deliver new or improved simulation processes to further improve the efficiency and reach of simulation within Caterpillar. You will be helping to define our future products as well as supporting our current products.
- Identification, analysis, and resolution of engineering problems using good fundamental engineering knowledge of 1D and 3D structural dynamic simulation for which you are beginning to build a reputation as an expert;
- Technical delivery, support and provision of advice to other engineers, managers, marketing personnel, dealers, customers, and suppliers both individually and through coaching junior & flexible resources;
- Development and evolution of complex simulation processes to support future needs and to improve the effectiveness of the team working closely with process partners throughout Caterpillar;
- Maintain technical knowledge in engine performance and simulation;
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding of internal and external customers’ needs.
- Experience of internal combustion engines, rotating machinery or other machinery;
- In-depth experience of simulating structural dynamic systems such as powertrain, geartrain, valvetrain or torsional vibration;
- Exposure to some, or all, of the following analysis tools would be useful;
- Finite element pre and post processors, such as NX or Hypermesh;
- Multi-body dynamics tools, such as GT-SUITE, SIMPACK or ADAMS;
- Finite element analysis solvers, such as Abaqus or Ansys;
- Fatigue analysis tools, such as nCode or FEMFAT;
- We assume that knowledge gained with one software package can be transferred to other packages performing similar functions.